Proud to be a…


How often have we seen people proclaim this? That they are proud to be an Indian, or Punjabi, or Bengali, or whatever it is they think they are proud of.

I have thought about it and it amuses me. I wonder if it is some congenital deficiency in me that I can’t seem to be proud about anything about myself (more on that later), or for that matter others around me; some of whom are overachievers. I feel happy and at times grateful that I know them. But proud? What kind of feeling is that? May be some of the habitual proud-feelers should write a slim self help book, titled, What To Feel, When You Are Proud.

Is pride a feeling? Can a happy person be proud? Can a content person be proud? If no, (and I can only answer for no, never having understood yes) then what is pride? Is it the opposite of shame? After all think of all those times (at least I can) when people have said, I am ashamed of you; the perfect antidote to I am proud of you. But then, isn’t honour the opposite of shame. Honour-killing, as our beloved khap panchayats remind us, is done to avenge the shame brought upon by the shame-ster. You eliminate the shame bearer and you restore honour.   

So shame is not the opposite of pride. What then is the opposite of pride? The dictionary tells me its humility. Aaargh… why can’t life be simple? Just when I was grappling with pride, comes another inane feeling called humility. And pride, at least has pizzaz. Humility is plain boring. I much prefer the low-key term unassuming to the loaded word humility. To be seen as humble is to be seen as a put-on and hence a put-off. To make a completely irrelevant point, someone once wrote that humility is like underwear, if it is showing, it’s indecent.

But no, this still does not explain pride and the need to be proud of something. Then I thought of the old Onida ad with the devil, and its tagline that said, “Neighbour’s envy. Owner’s pride.” And perhaps, that’s what it is. There’s no pride without the knowledge that others are envious of the object of our pride. When we say we are proud of something or someone, the assumption is that others can’t have it. Hence, pride as a feeling, when it exists, is a deficient emotion, feeding as it does on others’ apparent or perceived envy.   

All hollow emotions rest on the crutches we've borrowed from others.

Comments

Popular Posts