Saturday afternoon... what have you got to lose

What can one do on a lazy Saturday, when unattended work over the week has piled up and the promise of having fun on the weekend has reached a deadend? Regarding work I echo PG Wodehouse’s sentiments, "my spirit is willing, but my will is not spirited." I share this trait with Reza, my Symbi roommate, who would generously declare, "bas mamu starting problem hai," implying ambiguously, that now I can't stop this thing I started. Well, we know that's not the case either.

Digressing from the subject, as I often will, how many of the books that we buy, we actually finish? There may be people, chiefly women, who do read every book that they buy. I have heard people --- again women --- say after reading an entire book, that they didn’t quite like it. I submit with all my humility, well what were you doing along the way? How did you not realise while you were on page say 40 that you are going nowhere with the book. Unless of course, you happen to be a really fast reader and were through with the book before the feeling of disapproval dawned on you. But considering how weird some people can get, this is not completely impossible. Well, I guess it behooves me to write another post on whether or not I'm perilously close to being branded a mysogynist.

Let’s end it with the weather --- that masterful saviour of dismal conversations. Bangalore’s weather, though to die for is nothing worth writing home about (that ruse didn't take me far). Damn, it stays pleasant all year long. It can't ignite, drench or freeze conversation. But complaining as some people can be, ahem, I have heard even Delhiites lament that it’s getting pretty hot.

Rest is usual 

Comments

  1. a post about nothing and everything.

    so what do you guys talk about if not the weather?

    so closet misogynist, why the hatred?

    ReplyDelete
  2. closet??? not really... i mean misogynist, not really.... i guess just am more forthright than most guys and politically not very correct

    Bangaloreans otherwise are a surly lot, unaware as they are of the good things they get for free, and take for granted... when conversation happens, it's mostly about how people from up north have destroyed the fabric of the city. Traffic jams, the declining weather, rising rents and need to party relentlessly. They have a point

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm one of those women. I plod on, in the hope that the book gets better. It does happen sometimes you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would expect you to say something like this. But how would that happen, i wonder. Isn't writing a book a linear process unlike say movies, where you could make a better second half that the first half one... but yeah good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey no, books get better. Often, books start out being crappy and then the plot just sucks you in it, isn't it? I know this because I forced to read books in lit class and then often, they turned out okay, or even good:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well... may be. But i'd be hardpressed to find a guy who perseveres with a book (or anything) if it doesn't strike them as interesting from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading through a book we don’t like, women will finish it simply because they started it, they would perhaps give it a chance. Why? You ask? I don’t know. We do it with food on our plates, most of the time we take small portions (Who knows if I’ll be able to finish a bigger portion if I take it?), in relationships, keep trying (nagging) to ‘improve’ the situation or keep the love alive. Some women do it with their appearances. Once they had their hair colored or their arms waxed, they keep going back repeatedly to ‘maintain’ the look. Perhaps it’s just in our genes or in our history :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Arpita for providing some semblance of reason... btw, i believe you... may be that's why too many women always find themselves stuck in dead end relationships coz they genuinely feel they can work things out, having invested much emotion and effort. Or is it too far-fetched? Interesting take... keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  9. You write well too Ghosh. It was great reading your two posts :P But then who am I to preach? I haven't written in days now. Keep scribbling,it helps generate ideas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This relationship dimension to books just gave this post a whole new meaning. Interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts