The Grand Design


Two hours before I started writing this I decided to change the 'look' of my blog. Though I am fairly regular with posting, I don't consider me to be an expert blogger. Have you seen some of the 'other' blogs, with their irritatingly large number of followers? Disgusting. And the way they people comment on their posts? Shameless. And the interesting trivia they have on their screens, like number of visitors and their respective cities, posts under neat categories, a blog roll, the myriad subscriptions and subscribers... etc? Yuckkk. Some of them have even monetized their blogs... whatever that means. And if it means that they get paid for writing their blogs, well I would want to know more.

So yeah, I decided it's time to be disgusting, shameless and yucky and started fiddling with the design of my blog. The one hour that followed were one of the most impulsive and indecisive (a nerve racking combo) hour in the last 7 days. I went overboard with the beautifying, and underboard with the deciding. Should I settle for the minimalist, or the abstract, or the mysterious, or the breezy, unaffected, change-barely-palpable design. I was being torn down the middle (always more painful) by the twin forces of wanting-to-get-noticed, and so-subtle-that-it-would-barely-register, when a third force staked claim. The leave-it-as-it-is force.

Badly begun, and not completely done, and too proud to be undone, I swiftly started clicking on whatever was clickable before clicking on the three hopeful letters: "Apply to Blog." Soon whatever little jazz I had on my screen vanished, like my followers' list and an index to my past posts. You can find them still in the pits of my screen, if you keep scrolling down till you can scroll down no more.

What remains is barely the work of art I had set out to achieve... with such zest that I wish I had recorded it. So what remains? An arid looking, sandpapery feeling background in whose right corner are flying, what seem like crows in the mid-day sun.

Not too bad if you ask me, goes with the weather outside. Just that I wish I had my followers' list and my past posts alongside.



PS: I discovered this video while surfing for songs and the sheer pleasure on their faces as they are making music (the camaraderie) and singing it makes me want to learn a musical instrument. I might.

Comments

  1. Talking about 'disgustingly' jazzy blogs (minus the 'huge' followers list).. here's a tip from one of the aforementioned kind of a blogger..

    Under the 'design' option..there's an option called 'page elements' ..you have to drag and drop the page elements in order to have the 'look' of your blog as you want..

    hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Thanks so much... more jazzing in store

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but this looks undone! hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ghosh... please jazz up the blog. I mean, nothing like good brain food, but I'd like to look at something on the side in addition to the birds. :-) Good job as always, much neater layout!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts