Not so simple


This is an experiment to write sparsely. You know, lean but not famished. I have always found it tough to write in simple language. I also think the keyboard complicates our language; encourages, eggs us on to write complex sentences; use long, overbearing words, like I just did. The computer screen instantly absolves us of this folly, even gives us the sanction. 

Writing in simple language, without trying to impress with impressive words in my opinion requires two things: ability to think deeply, so deep that language becomes merely the messenger and not the content. Its the poet's job to be lyrical, the writer must only communicate. Of course you may disagree and at times I'd agree with you on that.

The second thing that enables us to write using simple language is conviction in what you are communicating; a supreme belief. Using simple language to communicate with clarity is not easy if you have been corrupted with the power words tend to have. It is a great deceit, and some would say the scourge of humanity.

Is simplicity the greater style? I read somewhere that simplicity is the best sophistication. So true. Simplicity is sinew. It is the absence of flab. It’s the oxygen without the airs. There I go again. So difficult to contain myself from bullshitting. Blame it on words, the ultimate intoxication. Its funny when I see various religious text urging us to guard ourselves against intoxication, it’s the ultimate irony.

It may take a long time for someone to develop their own style of writing, if ever. But it takes forever to develop a simple style of writing. Simplicity is infinity. It is both mastery and submission. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts