Call of the dark

My first real job was that of a sports journalist with DNA (Daily News & Analysis). I say real because I also worked as a call centre executive when in Hyderabad. It was no less interesting; calling people in far away continents, pleading, badgering, sweet-talking (that’s a gift only the best salesmen possessed) them into buying a service that could “help you save $40 a year!” I remember this particular time of the night, every night (did I forget to mention, work was during the night), well early morning would be more like it, around 4 am, when all those callers on the floor would stand up.
Fighting what we knew was a losing battle against sleep and snore, the only way to stay awake was to stand up. To those who scoff (worse deride) at call center executives, I throw the gauntlet. To make a sale on the phone to a people about whom we knew nothing of, in my view is quite an achievement. Try it. The job itself is not as bad as some weary looking call center executives could suggest. There were some who really loved the rush of selling. It was part talent and part deception, and they have the skill for both.
Naturally I sucked. A job that required me making so many sacrifices; sleep (on an everyday basis!), sunlight and a social life was never very appealing. Once during my induction, I fell asleep when my assigned buddy (in call center parlance, your mentor) was showing and teaching and I was supposed to be watching and learning. Instead I was sleeping and dreaming. My gentle team leader, Haadi (yeah that’s a name) always cordial, came and gave me the mildest of rebukes, telling me about the domino effect my sleep might induce. God bless him.
The worst time of the day for a call centre executive is at night when the cabs come to pick you up. There is a clear drawing of a line here; a case of us versus them. The rest of the world is readying themselves to sleep, while you are marching forth to express solidarity with those in another continent, who have had their sleep the previous night. It’s the brown man’s burden, empowering the white man to save $40 dollars a year on gas. The feeling of desolation on watching the deserted streets where your cab zooms past can only be neutralized by the chatter and cheer inside it. In that call centre execs can’t be found wanting. There are always stories to share; before calls, after calls and even between calls.
Oh, how I have rambled on. Digressed right from the first sentence, when it was my intention to write about my days in DNA. That was a job I loved and I suspect was good at it too. Working under Ayaz Memon was great. Then why did I leave it? For the same reason I joined the call centre. Experiences. ZZZzzz….      

   
    

Comments

  1. This was lovely Abhishek/Alex. Haha! And who would have thought you would look back on your call center days with such fond nostalgia, given how endlessly you cribbed about it while actually there. Distance = perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screw the call centre and DNA and tell us about a more recent stint at a company that's name starts with Q.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the call centre's credit, we were given the freedom to choose our new names! A rechristening (if u see the pun, it's intended). Perks of a job. The limit was reached when we were made to pronounce the names of American states. "Wyoming, repeat after me." Back then, I'd crib about anything, so not entirely their fault. I quit and not a day too soon. They loved me enough to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaa... snake anthony, that would need many authors to contribute, it could serve as the anthology of torture... but sure, one day, u'd be the first to know

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to co-edit the anthology of torture with you! And a special chapter dedicated to you know who..wait, now that I think I have a couple of chapters to write, may be I'll write this book all by myself. Thanks for the idea. ;)

    Fun post, and ya, may be we should treat call centre executives with some dignity. It is a tough job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PPP... and yet you advised ure friend to join them :-D okay since u have decided to write the book, let me at least write the foreword

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was always fascinated by the call center people. Ajaz, a good friend of mine, says it's a must to join a call centre for you learn so many things (He worked wid Wipro BPO in Delhi for quite sometime before landing in a 'more sophisticated' workspace). I'm sure, despite all d odds, you have worthwhile learnings which you can store in your kitty n share wid d world.
    Good one Abhishek. This one though deviated slightly from your usual way to humor and acerbic portrayal f events, but mast hai. Likhte raho jaan se, shaan se imaan se.
    CT,
    MN.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks dude, for one comment... bada soona soona lag raha tha post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! It was quite interesting the way you wrote your experience at the call center!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks!!... it was awful when i was there, can u believe it, i made just 2 sales in 6 months! many people made as much in 1 hour

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, are you telling me you were Alex??? Alejandro to the Latin Americans.. Awesome! Nice post, enjoyable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, crazy it was... i almost couldnt believe some people wanted to do that forever

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts