The 3rd post in March


I'm still undecided on Paulo Coelho. I really wonder how and why has he been so popular in India. I agree I have read just one of his books (you know which one). But will any Paulo Coelho fan please tell me (and there are many) what is it that you like about his books. To me, Paulo Coelho is what you get when Chetan Bhagat is taking dictation from Sri Sri (Sri?) Ravi Shankar. 

The World Cup has entered the semi-final stage and India is playing Pakistan day after tomorrow in Mohali. Yeah baby. Over the years, I have to confess that Australia had elbowed out Pakistan as the more worthy opponent when it comes to important clashes. Deep down, defeating Australia gave me the higher high. And honestly, Pakistan has stopped arousing the base passions that were whipped up to get delirious for a while. Now, all I look forward to is a competetive game of cricket. May we win and Pakistan lose gracefully. For a country where the Army, Allah and America have had so much say, their cricket team should be held in high regard for where they have reached. Also the bowling talent on exhibition is breathtaking.

I have deactivated my account on facebook. I was chatting with my friend Pooja (you might have noticed, i am an unabashed name-dropper, especially of the ones who comment on my blog) and somehow was able to explain to her why.

   "it was supposed to be the communication platform of the world (providing spark to the long awaited revolution) but instead it has become utilitarian at best and a bragfest at worst. only hyperbole and hot air... our generation has mastered the impossible art of converting every big idea to pointlessness.

I haven't deleted it, just deactivated it, i activate it on the weekends, tuning in to see if the embers of the revolution are still afire. Otherwise i am least interested in seeing vacation pictures of newly married couples (what with every friend of mine becoming conjugally compliant or simply pliant) or what one might have cooked for lunch (yawn...) and yet people get offended when i don't compliment them on these very accomplishments. It's the biggest strain on friendships"
 

Jai Hind      

Comments

  1. I didnt understand the hype over the Alchemist. I didnt mind Witch of Portobello, but I hated Eleven Minutes too. Coelho's tweets are better than his books (no seriously). The reason why he is popular I guess is because he is dumbed down self help philosophy. Its like fairy tales for grown ups.

    I agree with your facebook analysis. Facebook is one place where you can get away with a lot of crap and also be held responsible for innocent words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup... Yup... Yup. Paulo Coelho is modern spirituality's assault on literature? Glad that you commented. BTW did activate my facebook account for the semi-final and final matches. Now have deactivated it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Media hype makes it popular in India, coz there is no reason why Indians should read it.. I can understand why Americans wud read it though... The same goes for Robin Sharma - that ferrari guy..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arshat, got to know of you from Nupur... thanks for commenting. But why do you think Americans would read it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I started reading one of Coelho's books and gave up within a few pages. So I have no clue why his books are such a big hit. In general, I'm not a fan of self-help books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So there are books you give up in between. "The road less travelled" is the ultimate self-help book. That book has seen me through some tough times! So what's your fav genre?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts